Old 03-06-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Banana tree fruit pods

Please Help!
One of my banana plants bloomed the other day. My problem is that the
pod, which is purple in color is not all complete. This has happened
several years now. Five or six leaves, one at a time, 1 leaf per day,
would open. There would be 8-10 baby bananas under each leaf. After
the sixth leaf, the bananas appeared to be under-developed and
all-flower form, and would fall off the pod.
That has been the course of the whole bottom of the pod, so I only got
around 50 bananas off the bloom.
Less than half the pod developed. I find this a shame. What can I do
in order for the rest of the pod to develop. Weather conditions
haven't changed. I live in central Florida, so the plants get plenty
of water. The plants are located on the north and east side of the
house. The plant that is blooming is on the east side.
Any help would be appreciated.

Wanda

Old 03-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Ed Griffin

The pod (flower) goes on forever, and ever, and .....forever.....
The more wildly you feed and feed and feed the plant, the more
bananas will develop.

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Beta 3
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Old 03-06-2005, 06:05 PM
how

Old 04-06-2005, 12:55 AM

Ed: Thank you first for replying to my question. Are you saying all I
need to do is fertilize? This has happened before @ my old home. I
dug all the babies up and brought them here, to my new home. I only
lost one plant in the process. I have waited 2 years for the babies to
grow and bear fruit. Finally one plant did, but the whole pod didn't
develop properly. The first 5 or 6 leaves had healthy bananas behind
them, but now, the fruit isn't fully developed and they are fallling to
the ground after the leaves open. Any additional help or information
would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Wanda

Old 04-06-2005, 03:02 AM

How: Thank you for your response to my problem. You say the bananas
falling off the pod are males. I'm still not understanding completely.
How do they become females? What do I need to do to make the whole pod
females and be bananas? Is it a lack of potassium? I have more bananas
coming to maturity. Each of my bananas have 2 juveniles coming in their
bed, which I have been told has to happen before they will bear fruit,
as the fruit-bearing banana plant will die and they will not produce
until there are two to take over the fruit-bearing status. Thanks, Wanda

Old 05-06-2005, 02:09 PM
how

wrote in message
oups.com...
How: Thank you for your response to my problem. You say the bananas
falling off the pod are males. I'm still not understanding completely.
How do they become females? What do I need to do to make the whole pod
females and be bananas? Is it a lack of potassium?
snip

Hi,
If the 'bananas' that are falling off first appear under the petals of the
purple/red blossom end, they are not bananas. This link shows a banana
blossom.
http://www.asianplants.com/images/pi...100%20cm. jpg
This link shows the male flower under the petals.
http://www.newlandsoftware.ltd.uk/Ga...flower%20b.jpg
Do a google image search for more.
There is nothing you can do to make the male flowers become bananas, the
male and female parts are there for the next generation but being hybrid and
sterile, most edible bananas only reproduce by offshoots. Lack of potassium
on the juvenile plants limits the amount and size of the fruit they will
produce.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good