Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Gary Brady

jojo wrote:
http://photos.yahoo.com/cgv_2000

look in the folder called bush?

We have one of these growing on a cliff face outside my office. It was here
on uncleared land
prior to our construction.

I have seen this bush in all seasons, but have no idea what it is. I would
LOVE about 6 of them at my house.
It was small when we finished construction 2 years ago, and gets no care
other than what God gives it.
The leaves turn red in fall.

What is it?
Can I "take a cutting from it"? how?
(my thumb is anything but green)

Thanks for any help you can give,
jojo

That's a Prairie Flameleaf Sumac. Don't know about cuttings, but I've
read that they are easily transplanted. Usually there are lots of small
ones around where there are large ones. They don't live very long,
however. I've had a number of these die in my yard for no apparent
reason except old age. They do have pretty foliage in the fall and lots
of very tiny yellow blooms in the spring. The blooms are not very
noticeable but attract a lot of bees.

Gary Brady