Old 03-06-2005, 04:51 PM
jojo

Default Can you help identify this bush?

http://photos.yahoo.com/cgv_2000

look in the folder called bush?

We have one of these growing on a cliff face outside my office. It was here
on uncleared land
prior to our construction.

I have seen this bush in all seasons, but have no idea what it is. I would
LOVE about 6 of them at my house.
It was small when we finished construction 2 years ago, and gets no care
other than what God gives it.
The leaves turn red in fall.

What is it?
Can I "take a cutting from it"? how?
(my thumb is anything but green)

Thanks for any help you can give,
jojo

Old 03-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Cindy

I have seen this bush in all seasons, but have no idea what it is. I
would LOVE about 6 of them at my house.
It was small when we finished construction 2 years ago, and gets no
care other than what God gives it.
The leaves turn red in fall.

I'd like to know what it is, too. What are the flowers like? Any seedlings
you could dig up?

Cindy

Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Gary Brady

jojo wrote:
http://photos.yahoo.com/cgv_2000

look in the folder called bush?

We have one of these growing on a cliff face outside my office. It was here
on uncleared land
prior to our construction.

I have seen this bush in all seasons, but have no idea what it is. I would
LOVE about 6 of them at my house.
It was small when we finished construction 2 years ago, and gets no care
other than what God gives it.
The leaves turn red in fall.

What is it?
Can I "take a cutting from it"? how?
(my thumb is anything but green)

Thanks for any help you can give,
jojo

That's a Prairie Flameleaf Sumac. Don't know about cuttings, but I've
read that they are easily transplanted. Usually there are lots of small
ones around where there are large ones. They don't live very long,
however. I've had a number of these die in my yard for no apparent
reason except old age. They do have pretty foliage in the fall and lots
of very tiny yellow blooms in the spring. The blooms are not very
noticeable but attract a lot of bees.

Gary Brady
Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 PM
jojo

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
. net...
jojo wrote:
[...]

Thank you Gary,
How long is very long? They obviously get huge (which would be nice) but the
gap would be that big too
when they die...ug.

This one is rather large..8' tall? and there are no others in the
vicinity...

jojo

Old 04-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Gary Brady

jojo wrote:

Thank you Gary,
How long is very long? They obviously get huge (which would be nice) but the
gap would be that big too
when they die...ug.

This one is rather large..8' tall? and there are no others in the
vicinity...

The length of life seems to vary. I have one that recently faded away
that has a 5" dia. trunk and has been here since I moved into this house
15 years ago. Others have died that have 1.5" trunks, probably 7 or 8
years old. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how long
they live. Since they seem to grow from seeds readily(I presume that's
how they spread), I would think you would get them started, and let
smaller ones grow up under the larger ones so they can continually
replace themselves. This is fine along the edge of a yard or woods, but
doesn't look quite as good out in the center of a mowed space. A good
background tree, but not a center of attention.

Gary