Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
andrewpreece

"Tone" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:50:29 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

Put it around yer roses

--

Just livin the Vida Sofa

Apparently it is good as a lawn dressing, and greens up the grass quickly.
Otherwise, looking in my 1930's gardening book, it is as the other posts
suggest,
store it in the dry for a while before use, except if using it as an
insecticide. It
can be used with lime for instance against carrot fly. The amount of
nitrogen
in it is not all that great according to the book, but I guess every little
helps.

Andy.