Old 05-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Jim Lewis

BlueHippo wrote:
I'm living in the beautiful land of Colorado for the summer, and i've
been eyeing some pretty nifty specimens nearby. Any reccomendations for
collecting? I was thinking air layering for a few of them, but i've
never tried it before and am soliciting advice. Also, anyone have any
reccomendations on what might transfer to a hotter climate, say, Texas?
I'll probably take the plants I want anyway, just to see if I can
manage it, but if you might point out some of the hardier plants that I
can concentrate on. I'm in the foothills of the Rockies, about 7800
feet above sea leve. Mostly pines and evergreens, interspersed with
birch. There's a plethoa o flitttle seedlings about, maybe two year old
plants that already have a good branch structure. I can post pictures
if nessacary, but what's a good rule for digging up a two-foot high
pine?
Anyway, anything anyone can reccomend for me would be much appreciated.

The chances of anything that lives at a mile and a half
above sea level in Colorado (USDA zone 4, AHS Heat zone 5)
living even a single summer in any part of Texas (USDA zone
7-8-9, AHS Heat zone 9-11) is 100% nil.

So why kill trees indiscriminately just for your own
pleasure? Wait until you get to TX, then get trees that
live in that vastly different -- drier, hotter, lower,
sunnier, probably windier -- environment.

Below is a thought worth following.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land (and trees - jkl) as a community to which we
belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect - Aldo
Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++