Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
BlueHippo

Default Air Layering and other collection methods in CO

I'm living in the beautiful land of Colorado for the summer, and i've
been eyeing some pretty nifty specimens nearby. Any reccomendations for
collecting? I was thinking air layering for a few of them, but i've
never tried it before and am soliciting advice. Also, anyone have any
reccomendations on what might transfer to a hotter climate, say, Texas?
I'll probably take the plants I want anyway, just to see if I can
manage it, but if you might point out some of the hardier plants that I
can concentrate on. I'm in the foothills of the Rockies, about 7800
feet above sea leve. Mostly pines and evergreens, interspersed with
birch. There's a plethoa o flitttle seedlings about, maybe two year old
plants that already have a good branch structure. I can post pictures
if nessacary, but what's a good rule for digging up a two-foot high
pine?
Anyway, anything anyone can reccomend for me would be much appreciated.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Jim Lewis

BlueHippo wrote:
[...]

The chances of anything that lives at a mile and a half
above sea level in Colorado (USDA zone 4, AHS Heat zone 5)
living even a single summer in any part of Texas (USDA zone
7-8-9, AHS Heat zone 9-11) is 100% nil.

So why kill trees indiscriminately just for your own
pleasure? Wait until you get to TX, then get trees that
live in that vastly different -- drier, hotter, lower,
sunnier, probably windier -- environment.

Below is a thought worth following.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land (and trees - jkl) as a community to which we
belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect - Aldo
Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++