Old 06-06-2005, 12:43 AM
~Roy~

Well hard as it is to belive rain water for thre most part is pretty
deficient in dissolved oxygen contyent. From the sound of it, your
pond got super soaked and the nutrients needed for algae etc was
greatly dilutred, and a lot of fresh rain water was introduced, which
was probably o2 poor, and the fish take the hit. Its a common
occurance even in larger natural ponds with large amounts of rainfall.

Normally its the larger fish that die off with o2 levels being off.

After a few earlier storms this year which dumped huge amounts of rain
my pond I also got quite a few that did not make it as well......and I
have huge amounts of aeraton and my pond is 1+ acre in size. Same for
my friends 2 1/2+ acre pond, heavy heavy rains, = some dead
fish......cloudy overcast skies with algae in the pond is going to
amount to fish kills as well if no auxillary aeration is provided.

On 5 Jun 2005 12:51:02 -0700, "mos" wrote:

===We had an entire day of heavy rain on Friday. My sisters pond which is
===about 500g is located in full sun, raised above ground abour 1/2 a
===foot, and usually has green algae hiding the 8 fish.
===
===Saturday morning we came out to find the pond completely crystal
===clear....and then noticed the fish were all just sort of hanging in the
===water....or on the bottom. There was no ammonia level and the ph was
===8.0. She tried to rescue the fish to a separate tank, but only two
===have survived.
===
===Any idea what could have caused this massive die off? The only variable
===we can come up with was the rain.... She doesn't use any chemicals on
===her property or lawn. As soon as I saw that the algae was gone, I
===thought this couldn't be good, at first thinking the fish were hiding
===due to lack of cover. I just lost a frog after this rain, and my
===neighbors largest fish died.
===
===Thanks for any input, the fish looked fine, no fuzz/fungus/weird
===looking things there, and were fine on Thursday.
===
===Mo