Old 18-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Hey man, blue grass - advice?

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:
In article , Lynda Thornton
writes

I want to plant some blue-coloured grass/es along the back border and am
no expert on types, habits etc. My main concern is that I don't want
anything very invasive that will crowd out the other plants - does such
a grass exist? Also, as well as being well-behaved, the tougher, harder
and long-lasting the better, I realise they aren't evergreen though.

Actually, just searching on the web in the last few minutes, I've
discovered that some are evergreen - I hadn't realised that!

Festuca ovina "glauca". PRECISELY what you are asking for :-)

Be warned, it HATES waterlogging, and has suffered badly these past
few winters even in Cambridge and even in my 60% sand soil. It is
a drought lover, though not up to the standards of most cacti.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Hi Nick

Actually - one question - the area I'm thinking of, the bottom of the
garden, is actually rather shady. Will this grass find shady conditions
difficult or will it manage?

Lynda