View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Michael Persiano

Well, this topic certainly touches upon several key points. I suppose such collection would also include raking the West of California Junipers, which have been masterfully carved by nature's hands for decades.

Clearly, the laws must be respected for the collection of specimens. Beyond the laws and with respect to ethical behavior, when has a particular species been over collected?

Has the Itoigawa Juniper become a thing of the past as a result of over collecting?

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:45:27 -0400
Subject: [IBC] Yamadori and the Law...

Jo Trojer wrote:
Kits, don't you think there is a difference between a wife beater and
someone taking a plant out of nature to take care of it and do everything to
make sure it lives for a loooong time??
Remember we all have different opinions and I was just expressing mine so no

need to attack me personally.

There's obeying the law, and then there's ethical behavior. Believe it or not, there can be a difference.

Besides, the plant might probably be quite "happy" where it is. :-)

And what about the person who follows in your footsteps on that public (government) land and doesn't get to see that plant because you have taken it for your own selfish pleasure.

Of course, thievery is thievery, no matter what is taken or what the value -- intrinsic or otherwise. That's probably unlawful as well as unethical.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin Bailey++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin Bailey++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++