Old 19-10-2002, 07:31 AM
sacha

Default Trip to USA

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

From: (Rodger Whitlock)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:04:07 GMT
Subject: Trip to USA

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:06:23 +0100, sacha
wrote:

...We only have 3 days in SF but
would love to see the Giant Redwoods if we can.

Earlier someone else said "drive to Yosemite to see the Giant
Redwoods."

The big trees in or near Yosemite are sequoias. The redwoods are
a coastal species, with the biggest stands now found about a
half-day's drive north of SF (up Highway 101), but I think there
may still be some small patches in the vicinity of San Francisco,
perhaps across the bay at Moraga or down around Santa Cruz.

General advice: beware free maps aimed at the tourist. Spend a
little money and buy decent maps.

We have some good maps sent to us by US friends and we're off in just a few
hours! One night in London and then on the 'plane tomorrow. Thanks
everyone for all the good advice and suggestions and 'see' you all in a
month's time!