Old 06-06-2005, 11:26 PM
David

Bought this house a while back and the previous owner had left these
two potted plants behind with these kinda obnoxious spikey leaves.

So I was out lookin' at 'em one day with my wife and I says "Mabel" I
says "that thar looks like one of them thar whatchacall pineapples".
She bent over looked at 'em real hard says "Ya know, I reckon that's
'zactly what they be".

So, now that I know they're pineapple, I'm wondering when they'll be
ripe. The fruit started looking like a pineaple about 1.5 to 2 mos.
ago. They are smaller than what you'd find in the grocery store but
still relatively large.

Also, I read that the plant dies after bearing fruit. Is this true?

I must say that this is a pleasant surprise as we both love pineapple.

I live in east central (Space Coast) FL

TIA

Pineapples are bromeliads and share growth habits with others in the
family. They may die after fruiting/ flowering, but this is not always
the case. And usually they will bear childen from the same root, they
typically come up right next to the mother plant. Enjoy your pineapples.