Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Default How can I tell when my pineapple is ripe?

Bought this house a while back and the previous owner had left these
two potted plants behind with these kinda obnoxious spikey leaves.

So I was out lookin' at 'em one day with my wife and I says "Mabel" I
says "that thar looks like one of them thar whatchacall pineapples".
She bent over looked at 'em real hard says "Ya know, I reckon that's
'zactly what they be".

So, now that I know they're pineapple, I'm wondering when they'll be
ripe. The fruit started looking like a pineaple about 1.5 to 2 mos.
ago. They are smaller than what you'd find in the grocery store but
still relatively large.

Also, I read that the plant dies after bearing fruit. Is this true?

I must say that this is a pleasant surprise as we both love pineapple.

I live in east central (Space Coast) FL

TIA

Old 06-06-2005, 11:04 PM
GK

test.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:04 AM
Steve

Bought this house a while back and the previous owner had left these
two potted plants behind with these kinda obnoxious spikey leaves.

So I was out lookin' at 'em one day with my wife and I says "Mabel" I
says "that thar looks like one of them thar whatchacall pineapples".
She bent over looked at 'em real hard says "Ya know, I reckon that's
'zactly what they be".

So, now that I know they're pineapple, I'm wondering when they'll be
ripe. The fruit started looking like a pineaple about 1.5 to 2 mos.
ago. They are smaller than what you'd find in the grocery store but
still relatively large.

Also, I read that the plant dies after bearing fruit. Is this true?

I must say that this is a pleasant surprise as we both love pineapple.

I live in east central (Space Coast) FL

TIA

I actually grew a pineapple once. Mine was pretty small but then I'm a
looooong way from Florida! It took it at least 2 years from when I
planted the top of a store pineapple until I had a ripe fruit. Most of
that time it was in my basement because we only have 4 months of frost
free weather at the most.
If in doubt, don't pick them yet. Few things are more worthless than a
green pineapple. Watch for the green to leave the skin color. When they
start to feel a little soft you may have waited longer than you need to
but they should still b good. Enjoy!
If I ever end up living in Florida some day, you can bet I'll be growing
some pineapples.

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)
Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in
Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sally

Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote:

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in
Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sally

I have heard that you can put the potted plant in a paper bag with a
couple of apples and seal it in there for a couple of days. The
ethelyne gas from the apples is supposed to encourage the plant to
blossom. I've not tried it, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt the
plant if you gave it a go.

marcella
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Whatsamatteru

Thanks Joe and to everyone else for the info!

Old 07-06-2005, 09:52 PM

Thanks Joe and to everyone else for the info!

Old 08-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Joe

Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They
are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F)
in Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sally
"Steve" wrote in message

you can do what the other poster suggested or you can just cut up a piece of
apple (with the skin) and stick it in the center of the pineapple, that has
worked nearly everytime for me.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:41 AM
Steve

Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote:

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in
Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sally

I have heard that you can put the potted plant in a paper bag with a
couple of apples and seal it in there for a couple of days. The
ethelyne gas from the apples is supposed to encourage the plant to
blossom. I've not tried it, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt the
plant if you gave it a go.

marcella

Yeah, that should work. I remember hearing that it will also work if you
just take a wedge of apple, place it in the center of the plant and
leave it there for a few days.
I didn't have to do that when I grew mine. It just surprised me with the
flower stalk while it was in the basement. I was able to move it outside
for the summer soon after that and (luckily) it was able to ripen in the
summer warmth and sunshine.

Steve
Old 08-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Steve

Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in
Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..............

.................................................. ..

I have a thought. Why the shade? If they were in poor light all winter,
then starting them in shade is not a bad idea. You should slowly get
them used to more sun until they are in full sun in a few weeks or so.

Now a question.
Where did you get the seeds? Did you find them in a store bought
pineapple? The subject of pineapple seeds came up in this group a year
or 2 ago. Until then I didn't realize store pineapples ever had seeds.
Since then, I have found them 3 times. I think all 3 were those orange
pineapples marketed as golden pineapples. I've been tempted to plant
some but haven't tried it yet.

Steve
Old 08-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

"Steve" wrote in message
Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They
are quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They
are mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in
the shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90
degree F) in Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..............

.................................................. .

I have a thought. Why the shade? If they were in poor light all winter,
then starting them in shade is not a bad idea. You should slowly get them
used to more sun until they are in full sun in a few weeks or so.

Now a question.
Where did you get the seeds? Did you find them in a store bought
pineapple? The subject of pineapple seeds came up in this group a year or
2 ago. Until then I didn't realize store pineapples ever had seeds. Since
then, I have found them 3 times. I think all 3 were those orange
pineapples marketed as golden pineapples. I've been tempted to plant some
but haven't tried it yet.

Steve

Yes and Yes :-)

I'm trying to acclimatize them by keeping them protected. They are getting
more and more sun and doing fairly well.

I found the seeds in a golden pineapple from the supermarket ( found some
more a couple days ago). I just thought I would give it a shot and it
worked. My FIL has the biggest one from seed. He is overseas for a month.
Maybe I'll sneak an apple in there after he leaves :-)

Thanks for your help everyone!

Sally