Old 19-10-2002, 02:18 PM
JennyC

Default Hey man, blue grass - advice?

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
JennyC wrote:
Festuca ovina "glauca". PRECISELY what you are asking for :-)

Sun , sun and more sun are whta it likes. All grey leaves plants

love
sun......:~)

Unfortunately, yes. If grown in dry shade, it will live, but will
not colour up well - it goes greenish every winter.

Oh, that's a shame, I just thought bluish grass would give a lovely
effect from a distance, but the area of the garden I want to plant

with
it has a shed in one corner and a high fence, which create a lot of
shadow between them. I can't risk planting rue unfortunately, with
having a toddler so I'll have to have a rethink. Are there any

other
blue-green plants I could consider, rather than grass? For

instance,
juniper is very bluish green and doesn't mind shade (but I don't

want
one there, just an example) - are there any herbaceous perennials

which
have that kind of colouring, and maybe blue flowers?
Thanks Lynda

How about Cerinthe purpurescans ?
Blue/green foliage + Blueish/purple flowers.

I'll even send you some seed if you fancy it :~)
Jenny