Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 AM
kathy

Hi Amber!

Your pond should have all the food your
tadpoles need. They like algae, pond scum,
rotting plants. If you don't think you have
enough you can add a couple of leaves
of organic romaine that has been frozen
(freezing breaks down the fibers and they
can eat it right away).

They will probably turn by August. Unless
you are in Maine and it is really cold this
summer. Then they will winter over.

Once they are adults they like a pond with lots
of plant cover around it so they feel safe. They like
ponds because ponds attract so many insects
but they will hunt for bugs and slugs and worms
in other places.

Don't use any pesticides or herbicides in your
yard (or back yard if that is where the pond is)
frogs are very sensitive to chemicals and they
need the bugs to survive. Too sterile a yard and
they are going to leave.

Many times folks think their frogs took off for good
but they will come back in the spring to breed.

Fish will eat frog eggs. To get a lot of frogs you
can build a second fishless pond. I have one for
aquatic insect larvae and my frogs. I keep mosquitoes out of it by
using Mosquito Bits.

kathy :-)www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the damselfly

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~