Old 07-06-2005, 03:34 AM
amber

Default frogs

I just recently added green frog tadpoles to my pond. I was wondering
what i can feed them and how long do they take to become adults? Also,
when they become adults how can I encourage them to stay around my
pond? Any advice would be a big help. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 AM
kathy

Hi Amber!

Your pond should have all the food your
tadpoles need. They like algae, pond scum,
rotting plants. If you don't think you have
enough you can add a couple of leaves
of organic romaine that has been frozen
(freezing breaks down the fibers and they
can eat it right away).

They will probably turn by August. Unless
you are in Maine and it is really cold this
summer. Then they will winter over.

Once they are adults they like a pond with lots
of plant cover around it so they feel safe. They like
ponds because ponds attract so many insects
but they will hunt for bugs and slugs and worms
in other places.

Don't use any pesticides or herbicides in your
yard (or back yard if that is where the pond is)
frogs are very sensitive to chemicals and they
need the bugs to survive. Too sterile a yard and
they are going to leave.

Many times folks think their frogs took off for good
but they will come back in the spring to breed.

Fish will eat frog eggs. To get a lot of frogs you
can build a second fishless pond. I have one for
aquatic insect larvae and my frogs. I keep mosquitoes out of it by
using Mosquito Bits.

kathy :-)www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the damselfly

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Reel Mckoi

"amber" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just recently added green frog tadpoles to my pond. I was wondering
what i can feed them and how long do they take to become adults? Also,
when they become adults how can I encourage them to stay around my
pond? Any advice would be a big help. Thanks!

==============================
Only a few will probably remain on your property. Only so many frogs and
other insect eaters can make a living in any one area. Of the hundreds of
assorted frogs, toads and newts that leave our ponds and pools each year
only a few remain in the vicinity.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Reel Mckoi

Reel Mckoi wrote:
"amber" wrote in message
ups.com...

I just recently added green frog tadpoles to my pond. I was wondering
what i can feed them and how long do they take to become adults? Also,
when they become adults how can I encourage them to stay around my
pond? Any advice would be a big help. Thanks!

==============================
Only a few will probably remain on your property. Only so many frogs and
other insect eaters can make a living in any one area. Of the hundreds of
assorted frogs, toads and newts that leave our ponds and pools each year
only a few remain in the vicinity.

And remember I know I sleep with Frogs.

McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 08-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Angrie.Woman

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Fish will eat frog eggs. To get a lot of frogs you
can build a second fishless pond. I have one for
aquatic insect larvae and my frogs. I keep mosquitoes out of it by
using Mosquito Bits.

My pond gained lots of frogs all by itself. It was too shaded for lilies,
but the top was always covered with water lettuce, and whenever I walked by
I could hear 20 or so splashes as everybody dove for cover.

I miss my pond.

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM