Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in
Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sally
"Steve" wrote in message

Bought this house a while back and the previous owner had left these
two potted plants behind with these kinda obnoxious spikey leaves.

So I was out lookin' at 'em one day with my wife and I says "Mabel" I
says "that thar looks like one of them thar whatchacall pineapples".
She bent over looked at 'em real hard says "Ya know, I reckon that's
'zactly what they be".

So, now that I know they're pineapple, I'm wondering when they'll be
ripe. The fruit started looking like a pineaple about 1.5 to 2 mos.
ago. They are smaller than what you'd find in the grocery store but
still relatively large.

Also, I read that the plant dies after bearing fruit. Is this true?

I must say that this is a pleasant surprise as we both love pineapple.

I live in east central (Space Coast) FL

TIA

I actually grew a pineapple once. Mine was pretty small but then I'm a
looooong way from Florida! It took it at least 2 years from when I planted
the top of a store pineapple until I had a ripe fruit. Most of that time
it was in my basement because we only have 4 months of frost free weather
at the most.
If in doubt, don't pick them yet. Few things are more worthless than a
green pineapple. Watch for the green to leave the skin color. When they
start to feel a little soft you may have waited longer than you need to
but they should still b good. Enjoy!
If I ever end up living in Florida some day, you can bet I'll be growing
some pineapples.

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)