Old 08-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Suzy O

Well, earwigs like cool, moist, dark places to hang out during the day,
which probably explains their presence in the garage and basement. Doubt
there's anything in the garage or basement they'd be interested in, as they
usually eat plant material. Granted, they are ishy and a lot of folks don't
want bugs in the house. Were you finding a lot of them, or one or two here
and there? If only an occasional invader in the basement, it could have
come in hiding under or in a basket of laundry or something else brought in
from outside.

Your best bet this year, before they find their way indoors, is to seal them
out. Caulk when the foundation meets the house and around all your windows
and screens. Obviously, they don't need much of an opening to find their
way inside.

If you did find a lot inside, make newspaper traps for them. Open a section
a newspaper once, so it's a long rectangle. Roll it up into a tube. Squish
one end closed and dampen. Since they like cool, dark, moist places to
spend daylight hours, check your traps in the morning. If you've caught
any, squish the other end shut and dispose.

Good luck!

Suzy O, Zone 5 Wisconsin
"Travis" wrote in message
news17he.40$pb1.20@trnddc08...
bmw wrote:
They werent really doing damage. I just had a bunch of them in my
garage & basement. It was last August when they started showing up.
I just want to try to stop the problem BEFORE it starts.

What is the problem?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5