Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Tom Puskar

Thanks for all the ideas.

I do have two dogs and although they spend a few hours outside each day its
unlikely they will ever encounter a midnight raccoon. Hopefully their
scents alone will deter the creatures.

Since I haven't experienced them yet, I don't plan anything as drastic as an
electric fence, but I will learn more about them. A water cannon will
probably not work well either since the dogs think of my pond as their
personal water bowl.

I have a net over the ponds now to deter the herons (seems to be working) so
I think I'll leave things alone for the time being.

This is a great group and I've learned a lot about how other ponders deal
with issues.

Thanks to all the sincere participants. lets hope the trash talkers leave
soon!

Best to all

Tom from Howell, NJ

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
A neighbor recently lost all but about 5 fish (he figures he had nearly 40
including a crop of last year's babies) to raccoons. Some of his fish were
10 years old so you can imagine how upset he is.

Since I live across the street, I'm concerned about the raccoon(s)
stopping by here. I've already had my battle with a heron which, Thank
God, seems to have stop visiting. I lost about 8 fish and don't want to
lose more.

Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ