Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Tom Puskar

Default Raccoons

A neighbor recently lost all but about 5 fish (he figures he had nearly 40
including a crop of last year's babies) to raccoons. Some of his fish were
10 years old so you can imagine how upset he is.

Since I live across the street, I'm concerned about the raccoon(s) stopping
by here. I've already had my battle with a heron which, Thank God, seems to
have stop visiting. I lost about 8 fish and don't want to lose more.

Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
kathy

Hi Tom!

General Predator Deterrents:

Electric FiShock Fido fence - made to keep dogs
and cats out of flower beds, fence off the pond,
fairly close to the edge.

Pond Guardian Electric Fence - made to attach to
rocks and lay out over the water of the pond

Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler - sometimes two
are needed. Can be dialed to different settings and put on a timer.
Shock of water coming on startles predators.
Attach to something solid if raccoons push it over.

Humane traps - for raccoons, for rent or to borrow from many animal
control facilities

You can go to www.froogle.com, enter in the product and find more
information and price information.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Charles the baby crusher Paisley

Tom Puskar wrote:
snip
ouch
snip

Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

electric fence... without doubt the fi-shok fence has kept them out of
my pond ... garbage ... yard..

The wires can be run discretely, and the energizer put on a timer.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

============================
One or more large dogs, or an electric fence. I believe our dogs keep them
away from the house and ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

The motion sprinkler is working here. I've got a neighbor only 4 houses
from me getting hit by one, but so far it hasn't bothered me. I've got
Pacific Tree Frogs calling nightly, which has got to sound just like to
dinner bell to them. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Hank

Tom, I used a "Have-a-heart" trap and 3 months and 21 furry bandits
later and I haven't had a problem in a year. I did however relocate
them to a state park near you ......... Sorry. ;-}
I never lost any fish ... just frogs and snails ..... and torn up
plants.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Angrie.Woman

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
A neighbor recently lost all but about 5 fish (he figures he had nearly 40
including a crop of last year's babies) to raccoons. Some of his fish were
10 years old so you can imagine how upset he is.

Since I live across the street, I'm concerned about the raccoon(s)
stopping by here. I've already had my battle with a heron which, Thank
God, seems to have stop visiting. I lost about 8 fish and don't want to
lose more.

Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

My pond was deep enough that the fish just went to the bottom and hid under
the milk crate when they came visiting. I only had 2, so it was easy to keep
count of them.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Tom Puskar

Thanks for all the ideas.

I do have two dogs and although they spend a few hours outside each day its
unlikely they will ever encounter a midnight raccoon. Hopefully their
scents alone will deter the creatures.

Since I haven't experienced them yet, I don't plan anything as drastic as an
electric fence, but I will learn more about them. A water cannon will
probably not work well either since the dogs think of my pond as their
personal water bowl.

I have a net over the ponds now to deter the herons (seems to be working) so
I think I'll leave things alone for the time being.

This is a great group and I've learned a lot about how other ponders deal
with issues.

Thanks to all the sincere participants. lets hope the trash talkers leave
soon!

Best to all

Tom from Howell, NJ

Old 08-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Courageous

Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

Racoons are clever creatures. If they can, they will move the netting aside.

I believe you need an electric fence, if you're that worried about it.

Do take care to install it correctly. It's not something where you just
"wing it," the electrical has to be outside of the ponds water perimeter.

If the netting is heavy, and anchored, you may be okay, though.
There is a certain amount of overreacting that one can do.

Another option might be to go for a dog. Woof!

C//

Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Greg Cooper

Tom Puskar wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas.

Other than netting (which is now up, or trapping, what's the best way to
discourage raccoons?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

I would suggest that the combination of the net (which you already have)
and making sure your fish have somewhere to hide should do it.