Old 08-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Steve

Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are
quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are
mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the
shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in
Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..............

.................................................. ..

I have a thought. Why the shade? If they were in poor light all winter,
then starting them in shade is not a bad idea. You should slowly get
them used to more sun until they are in full sun in a few weeks or so.

Now a question.
Where did you get the seeds? Did you find them in a store bought
pineapple? The subject of pineapple seeds came up in this group a year
or 2 ago. Until then I didn't realize store pineapples ever had seeds.
Since then, I have found them 3 times. I think all 3 were those orange
pineapples marketed as golden pineapples. I've been tempted to plant
some but haven't tried it yet.

Steve