Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
p.k.

Pioden wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my back garden with ivy growing over a fence, and
the ivy is now starting to strangle some of my plants. I've been
trying to cut back the ivy every year but it's and endless task and
it's starting to win the battle. I've tried Round-Up but all that did
was kill the parts I could spray - not the whole plant. Spraying the
entire ivy isn't possible because it's growing too close to my other
plants.

The ivy 'lives' next door (which is why I haven't just cut it down) so
I'm looking for ways to kill off the ivy without trespassing !! Please
help !

I have exactly the same problem. I hacked back to the fence line and down to
fence height with a powered hedge trimmer a couple of years ago. Now I spray
anything that appears with a strong glyphosate (roundup or similar) when the
leaves a still soft and light green. The ivy on the neighbours side does not
even blink but my side is more or less clear.

What I haven't tried ( we do not get on all the well as it is, why stoke the
fire?) is the old bind weed trick of coiling up and bruising long lengths of
ivy and tying in a plastic bag dosed with glyphosate. The idea being that
until the coiled stuff dies it sits there taking poison back to the main
plant and roots.

pk