Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Jill Tardivel

Kay wrote:
In article , RichardS
writes

The recent thread on rosebay willow herb reminded me about the exact
question I was going to ask.

A plant came up amongst a bed of perenniels that we bought from Hampton
Court last year.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what we bought, and it did come up
only in one spot and looked vaguely like something that we might have got,
but I don't think that we would have planted it in that position if it was
going to be quite that tall (the fence behind is about 4'6" tall with 1'
trellis on top)!

http://domino-177.billbuchan.com/Oli...ks/RSAN-62VKNR

If it is most likely RBWH then I want to get rid now, rather than waiting
for flowers (it's showing no signs of flowering yet) - there's other stuff
I'd like to establish there.

many thanks

It doesn't look like Rosebay willowherb - the leaves don't look smooth
and shiny. It's also a bit tall - mine is only about 18 inches at the
moment - conversely, if you're much earlier than me and it is that tall,
then I'd expect to see the characteristic flower buds. And rosebay isn't
as branched as that at that stage of growth.

It could possibly be the big soft leaved willowherb with big pink
flowers whose name I forget.

Or it could be something else entirely.

Since you don't want it there anyway, whatever it is, you could try
transplanting it (though not the best time of year) then you could see
its flower and also have the chance to plant something else in its
current position.

Greater Willowherb?

I came across a beautiful white flowered plant in a border last year.
Puzzled me for a while then I realised it was a white rose bay willlow
herb. Looked fantastic.