Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Alex Woodward

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote ...
What size leaf pad can I expect from a Nymphaea 'Solfatare' water lily?

Although I've not seen it, to my knowledge, it's a small growing Marliac
hybrid suitable to shallow ponds and tubs so the leaves, which are dark
green splashed with maroon, cannot be very big, probably 6 inches at most
possibly smaller.
Unusual and interesting choice for a small water lily, flowers change from
yellow when they first open to red as they fade. Most people would choose
Sioux.
Where did you get it?

Stapely water gardens in Cheshire. It cost £17.50 but costs a little more in
their online shop. Here is a download link to their online brochure if you
are interested:

http://www.stapeleywg.com/downloads/...PRICE_LIST.pdf

I have a pond that has various depths. I have planted a marliacea carnea in
the deepest end and decided to plant a smaller lily in the shallower end
which is approx 14 inches from the top of the lily pot.

The Solfatares pads are starting to reach the surface but they seem very
small compared to what I expected. Even though I have added a fertiliser
spike, they are no more than 1 inch in diameter at the moment. Perhaps this
is because it has not yet established?

Alex