Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Alex Woodward

Default Water lily question

What size leaf pad can I expect from a Nymphaea 'Solfatare' water lily?

Alex

Old 09-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alex Woodward" wrote ...
What size leaf pad can I expect from a Nymphaea 'Solfatare' water lily?

Although I've not seen it, to my knowledge, it's a small growing Marliac
hybrid suitable to shallow ponds and tubs so the leaves, which are dark
green splashed with maroon, cannot be very big, probably 6 inches at most
possibly smaller.
Unusual and interesting choice for a small water lily, flowers change from
yellow when they first open to red as they fade. Most people would choose
Sioux.
Where did you get it?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Alex Woodward

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote ...
What size leaf pad can I expect from a Nymphaea 'Solfatare' water lily?

Although I've not seen it, to my knowledge, it's a small growing Marliac
hybrid suitable to shallow ponds and tubs so the leaves, which are dark
green splashed with maroon, cannot be very big, probably 6 inches at most
possibly smaller.
Unusual and interesting choice for a small water lily, flowers change from
yellow when they first open to red as they fade. Most people would choose
Sioux.
Where did you get it?

Stapely water gardens in Cheshire. It cost £17.50 but costs a little more in
their online shop. Here is a download link to their online brochure if you
are interested:

http://www.stapeleywg.com/downloads/...PRICE_LIST.pdf

I have a pond that has various depths. I have planted a marliacea carnea in
the deepest end and decided to plant a smaller lily in the shallower end
which is approx 14 inches from the top of the lily pot.

The Solfatares pads are starting to reach the surface but they seem very
small compared to what I expected. Even though I have added a fertiliser
spike, they are no more than 1 inch in diameter at the moment. Perhaps this
is because it has not yet established?

Alex

Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alex Woodward" wrote

Stapely water gardens in Cheshire. It cost £17.50 but costs a little more
in their online shop. Here is a download link to their online brochure if
you are interested:

http://www.stapeleywg.com/downloads/...PRICE_LIST.pdf

I have a pond that has various depths. I have planted a marliacea carnea
in the deepest end and decided to plant a smaller lily in the shallower
end which is approx 14 inches from the top of the lily pot.

The Solfatares pads are starting to reach the surface but they seem very
small compared to what I expected. Even though I have added a fertiliser
spike, they are no more than 1 inch in diameter at the moment. Perhaps
this is because it has not yet established?

Yes, it will be a forced plant and very young so it will have some growing
to do before you see it's true beauty. Better next season and even better
after that.
I have Gladstoneana in my pond that simply gets bigger every year but have
tried a couple of times to establish something else without success.
Last year I bought one of the new American peach coloured ones but it
appears to have gone downwards despite having leaves all through the winter.
I'll have to take a look at Mayla in the flesh at...
http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/index.asp
it certainly look to be something special.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Alex Woodward

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote

[...]

Bob, you seem to have a quite a bit of experience of water gardens and water
lilies, whereas I only dug and planted my first pond 1 year ago. The
marliacea carnea started to push up quite large pads straight away last year
(I planted in mid June '04) however, they never bloomed. Do you think I can
expect this lily at least, to show it's true colours this summer? I would
truly like to see my pond in mid summer looking similar to a picture
postcard. Any chance you think?

By the way, what do you mean by a 'forced plant'. I am not an experienced
gardener by any means, therefore this term is lost on me.

Alex

Old 11-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alex Woodward" wrote
Bob, you seem to have a quite a bit of experience of water gardens and
water lilies, whereas I only dug and planted my first pond 1 year ago. The
marliacea carnea started to push up quite large pads straight away last
year (I planted in mid June '04) however, they never bloomed. Do you think
I can expect this lily at least, to show it's true colours this summer? I
would truly like to see my pond in mid summer looking similar to a picture
postcard. Any chance you think?

For those that don't know, N. marliacea "Carnea" is a strong growing pink
flowered hybrid with large dark green leaves.
In it's second season it should be strong enough to flower but even then it
will get better every year until it needs repotting. Some say repot every
few years but my Gladstoneana has not been repotted for a decade and still
it thrives but then it does have lots of nutrients from the large fish it
shares the pond with. :-) However I think it may need splitting up soon.
Water lillies do need sun to flower, some demand full sun and others can
make do with a few hours daily, if your pond is in shade you will not get
many flowers if any.

By the way, what do you mean by a 'forced plant'. I am not an experienced
gardener by any means, therefore this term is lost on me.

Grown in a polytunnel or under glass (in heat) to force the plant into
growth earlier than it normally would.

Oh, and if you are interested in water lilies look up the French hybridiser
Joseph Bory Latour-Marliac. (he made you plant in the 1860's) who took his
knowledge to his grave.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Alex Woodward

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote
[...]

Ah, both lilies I purchased were taken from pots under glass. There was a
small amount of water, no more than 1 1/2 inches, above the soil in it's
container.

Is it possible for the layman to easily distinguish between the water lily
varieties simply by looking at its pads?

My pond gets between 8 to 5 hours of sun a day. A shadow slowly creeps over
the pond which explains the difference. I believe that should be enough to
encourage the lilies to bloom. The Solfatare should get 8 hours a day,
especially during mid-summer.

Oh, and if you are interested in water lilies look up the French
hybridiser Joseph Bory Latour-Marliac. (he made you plant in the 1860's)
who took his knowledge to his grave.

Thanks for the tip.

Alex

Old 12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alex Woodward" wrote ...

Is it possible for the layman to easily distinguish between the water lily
varieties simply by looking at its pads?

Not really.

My pond gets between 8 to 5 hours of sun a day. A shadow slowly creeps
over the pond which explains the difference. I believe that should be
enough to encourage the lilies to bloom. The Solfatare should get 8 hours
a day, especially during mid-summer.

Sounds fine. It's not lack of sun then just a young and therefore weak
plant.