Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Dave

Tiger303 writes

removed the fading flower heads at least 6/7 weeks ago, and i've heard
you can
cut the remaining leaves right down to the ground now as

they've had enough time
to store food for next years flowers?

Is this correct? Thanks

--
Tiger303

Sounds right to me. I quite like the dead-heading, its something small
and useful to do early on in the gardening season, isn't it?

I usually try and wait until some of the leaves are yellowing, and then
cut the rest down, especially as they are on public view in the front
bank by the road, but its up to you :-) If they start to look a mess,
esp with the odd large weed in there, then I might be tempted to do it
earlier.

If I have some in out of the way places then apart from trying to dead
head them I just let them die back as they want, and pick off the dried
leaves at some later stage if I am by that way.
--
David