Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default Cutting daffodils to the ground?

removed the fading flower heads at least 6/7 weeks ago, and i've heard you can cut the remaining leaves right down to the ground now as they've had enough time to store food for next years flowers?

Is this correct? Thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Dave

Tiger303 writes

--
Tiger303

Sounds right to me. I quite like the dead-heading, its something small
and useful to do early on in the gardening season, isn't it?

I usually try and wait until some of the leaves are yellowing, and then
cut the rest down, especially as they are on public view in the front
bank by the road, but its up to you :-) If they start to look a mess,
esp with the odd large weed in there, then I might be tempted to do it
earlier.

If I have some in out of the way places then apart from trying to dead
head them I just let them die back as they want, and pick off the dried
leaves at some later stage if I am by that way.
--
David
Old 10-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Bevan Price

"Tiger303" wrote in message

removed the fading flower heads at least 6/7 weeks ago, and i've heard
you can cut the remaining leaves right down to the ground now as
they've had enough time to store food for next years flowers?

Is this correct? Thanks

--
Tiger303

I usually wait until the leaves start to turn yellow/brown.

Bevan

Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Brian

"Tiger303" wrote in message

removed the fading flower heads at least 6/7 weeks ago, and i've heard
you can cut the remaining leaves right down to the ground now as
they've had enough time to store food for next years flowers?

Is this correct? Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The RHS stated, many years ago, that as a result of their trials
leaves can be removed 42 days after flowering, even if still green, with no
adverse effects. Over very many years I have removed the leaves from mine,
growing in grass, on 14th May. They flourish and are no different from
controls.
Best Wishes Brian..

Cutting Daffodils Sacha United Kingdom 8 31-03-2006 02:23 PM
Cutting Daffodils michael adams United Kingdom 0 30-03-2006 03:48 PM
Cutting tree stumps flush to ground / chainsaw wear? Chris United Kingdom 9 01-03-2006 02:29 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 02:12 AM