Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Jim Lewis

Blake Wilkins wrote:
I've read of different methods for airlayering. One of course is wrapping
the wound in sphagnum moss, then the moss ball in clear plastic sheeting. I
have also read of securing a 4" pot (or slightly bigger) around the moss
ball and leaving it open.

If you wrap the sheeting in aluminum foil, you don't have
the parboiling problem. Sunlight and heat reflect outward
(and contribute to global warming).

I use the pot method more than the other, but I use compost
in the pot, rather than sphagnum, though with hard-to-root
species I'll probably add about 1/2 chopped sphagnum. And
yes, you need to keep an eye on it -- both for moisture and
for hard rain washing the material out of the pot.

I used the plastic-wrap method on a 15-foot maple (two
layers) last year. I applied the layer before leaves came
out and lifted the layer in the following November last
year. Both are doing fine this year. Now, IMHO, is near
the end of the optimum period, though you can keep the layer
on the tree until a hard freeze is expected.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++