Old 13-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

brsher wrote:

I live in a residential neighborhood. Last year squirrels ate or damaged
every tomato I had. They were running amok everywhere.
This year I haven't seen one squirrel in my yard or even in the entire
neighborhood. Anyone care to speculate the reason? (No, the tomatoes
weren't poisonous).

Yes, I have a theory. At least if fits for Central Maryland and Northern
Virginia. I am an amateur wine maker and grow 112 vines in my backyard
vineyard.

Last year the crop yield was miserable low even though it was a decent
growing season. The yield was low because the previous year (2002) growing
year was a bust. It rained almost every day in the spring and early summer
of 2002. We had a realtively early frost and the canes that grew in 2002
did not produce very many fruiting buds for the 2003 season. Also - the oak
trees produced very few acorns. The critters that depended on nuts and
other fruits were hurting and eating everything they could just to survive.

Last year we had a decent growing year and had a relatively late killing
frost. The buds that developed last year and are producing this year
matured very well and this year looks to be a prolific year not only for
grapes but for almost all fruit (at least in this part of the US)

I think that it might be possible that this year the squirrels are finding
sufficient natural foods and therefor leaving OUR stuff alone more than
usual. Just a thought but maybe a possible theory.

Just in case you have allergy problems - last year around here was NOT a
very bad allergy year. THIS year is terrible because EVERYTHING is
pollinating and filling the air with more pollen than usual.

Sooooo - Paul's theory is that if your allergies are worst than usual, you
will have a prolific garden and fruit production and squirrels will not be
as much a problem - on the other hand if your allergies are moderate or low
level - watch out - your garden and fruit production will probably be below
par.

Comments from others appreciated.