Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
brsher

Default Wierd, no squirrels

I live in a residential neighborhood. Last year squirrels ate or damaged
every tomato I had. They were running amok everywhere.
This year I haven't seen one squirrel in my yard or even in the entire
neighborhood. Anyone care to speculate the reason? (No, the tomatoes
weren't poisonous).

Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Daniel

Sounds like you DIED and went to garden heaven to me. Where do you live?
They all must have come over to my neighborhood.

Dan

Old 11-06-2005, 06:33 PM
simy1

someone in the neighborhood got a good cat. Or an owl moved in. I see
those shifts in animal pupulation all the time.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Roy A. Fletcher

brsher ) wrote:
with editing...
: I live in a residential neighborhood. Last year squirrels ate or damaged
: every tomato I had. They were running amok everywhere.
: This year I haven't seen one squirrel in my yard or even in the entire
: neighborhood. Anyone care to speculate the reason? (No, the tomatoes
: weren't poisonous).

They also bothered someone else in your neighbourhood.
That someone fed them a diet of potato chips (squirrel nip
according to some) to protect their crop and the squirrels
didn't form enough brown fat to survive the winter?

Or someone trapped them and moved them to another neighbourhood,
maybe Dan's?
etc.

Regards. RAF
Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Oh boy, we're going to have a speculatathon!!!

Maybe they ran off with all the nuts last year?

Maybe they found a neighborhood with tomatoes better than yours?

Old 12-06-2005, 04:13 AM
Kitty O'Reilly

"brsher" wrote in message
I live in a residential neighborhood. Last year squirrels ate or damaged
every tomato I had. They were running amok everywhere.
This year I haven't seen one squirrel in my yard or even in the entire
neighborhood. Anyone care to speculate the reason? (No, the tomatoes
weren't poisonous).

-----------------------------------
Since our new neighbors have several large outdoor cats, both the squirrels
and rabbits have vanished. We love it!

Kitty

Old 12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...
someone in the neighborhood got a good cat. Or an owl moved in. I see
those shifts in animal pupulation all the time.

Coyotes, too. Last year the coyotes were pretty out in the open and even
being spotted in Indy 'burbs.

But I've found that animals cycle. (- probably the wrong word) One year
there were rabbits, then the next year I didn't see one. Then there were
tortises everywhere (and in the ROADS -- yuck) and the next year I saw only
saw one. The only thing that seems to be on a constant increase is the
coyotes.

Giselle (which means that the barn cat population stays under control. Sad,
but true.)

Old 13-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

brsher wrote:

I live in a residential neighborhood. Last year squirrels ate or damaged
every tomato I had. They were running amok everywhere.
This year I haven't seen one squirrel in my yard or even in the entire
neighborhood. Anyone care to speculate the reason? (No, the tomatoes
weren't poisonous).

Yes, I have a theory. At least if fits for Central Maryland and Northern
Virginia. I am an amateur wine maker and grow 112 vines in my backyard
vineyard.

Last year the crop yield was miserable low even though it was a decent
growing season. The yield was low because the previous year (2002) growing
year was a bust. It rained almost every day in the spring and early summer
of 2002. We had a realtively early frost and the canes that grew in 2002
did not produce very many fruiting buds for the 2003 season. Also - the oak
trees produced very few acorns. The critters that depended on nuts and
other fruits were hurting and eating everything they could just to survive.

Last year we had a decent growing year and had a relatively late killing
frost. The buds that developed last year and are producing this year
matured very well and this year looks to be a prolific year not only for
grapes but for almost all fruit (at least in this part of the US)

I think that it might be possible that this year the squirrels are finding
sufficient natural foods and therefor leaving OUR stuff alone more than
usual. Just a thought but maybe a possible theory.

Just in case you have allergy problems - last year around here was NOT a
very bad allergy year. THIS year is terrible because EVERYTHING is
pollinating and filling the air with more pollen than usual.

Sooooo - Paul's theory is that if your allergies are worst than usual, you
will have a prolific garden and fruit production and squirrels will not be
as much a problem - on the other hand if your allergies are moderate or low
level - watch out - your garden and fruit production will probably be below
par.

Comments from others appreciated.

Old 14-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Daniel

Ohhh... so that is where all the squirrels came from :-) Thanks a lots
Neighbor

Dan

"Roy A. Fletcher" wrote in message
with editing...