Old 13-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Dan

Default Planning my first pond -- a few quetions for the experts here

Hi,

Finally, after several years of waiting, I'm about to build
my first small pond. Most of our yard is heavily wooded,
however, I think I have a sutable, but mostly shaded, area
near the house for a 1000 gallon pond with a two foot waterfall.
I've resigned myself to battling with tree debris -- falling twigs,
leaves, and seeds -- in the spring and fall. I'm not a big koi fan
which is probably a good thing considering the number of raccoons,
snakes, herons, etc. in the area. However, I'm hoping for frogs
and with a large stream about a hundred yards away and a beaver
pond on the other side teeming with frogs (the sound is almost
deafening this time of year), I'm assuming that won't be a problem.
Plus I'm sure it won't be long before my kids start putting crayfish
and other 'wild critters' in there.

I was leaning towards the Tsurumi OMU-2 pump (3000 GPH max) and
a Savio Compact Skimmerfilter and a Savio Livingponds waterfall
filter. Is that too much pump for a 1000 gallon pond and fairly
low waterfall? What about a gravel bottom in a shaded pond? I've
heard both pros and cons, but I'm hoping that it will add a layer
of protection in case our 70 pound dog decides to wade in one day.
Also, is a center drain a must? My gut tells me to plumb one in
in any case. Any comments and advice would be appreciated. Oh,
just in case location is important, I live in central Maryland --
fairly cold winters and hot/muggy summers. Thanks in advance!