Old 13-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Dan

Default Planning my first pond -- a few quetions for the experts here

Hi,

Finally, after several years of waiting, I'm about to build
my first small pond. Most of our yard is heavily wooded,
however, I think I have a sutable, but mostly shaded, area
near the house for a 1000 gallon pond with a two foot waterfall.
I've resigned myself to battling with tree debris -- falling twigs,
leaves, and seeds -- in the spring and fall. I'm not a big koi fan
which is probably a good thing considering the number of raccoons,
snakes, herons, etc. in the area. However, I'm hoping for frogs
and with a large stream about a hundred yards away and a beaver
pond on the other side teeming with frogs (the sound is almost
deafening this time of year), I'm assuming that won't be a problem.
Plus I'm sure it won't be long before my kids start putting crayfish
and other 'wild critters' in there.

I was leaning towards the Tsurumi OMU-2 pump (3000 GPH max) and
a Savio Compact Skimmerfilter and a Savio Livingponds waterfall
filter. Is that too much pump for a 1000 gallon pond and fairly
low waterfall? What about a gravel bottom in a shaded pond? I've
heard both pros and cons, but I'm hoping that it will add a layer
of protection in case our 70 pound dog decides to wade in one day.
Also, is a center drain a must? My gut tells me to plumb one in
in any case. Any comments and advice would be appreciated. Oh,
just in case location is important, I live in central Maryland --
fairly cold winters and hot/muggy summers. Thanks in advance!
Old 13-06-2005, 12:24 AM
kathy

Hi Dan!

Skimmers are always good ideas for areas with lots of
tree business. You can always net the pond for a week
or two if you have periods of heavy tree activity.

Not sure about brand names but somebody else
will know.

Ponds collect stuff, even with skimmers.
That's why rocks are hard to deal with. They look
great but they are harder to clean. A bottom drain would
come in handy. The aquascape folks drain their ponds
and power wash them to clean them.
So it's kind of up to you how much maintenance you
want to do. We should clean out our pond every
spring but this year it did not happen.

I like the idea of a pond where all nature comes to
visit! If you don't put in a few minnows you can put
in Mosquito Dunks for the mosquitoes.
Your kids can add and subtract stuff as long as
they don't get too fond of anyone critter because that
is always who the heron or raccoon eats first!
My youngest spent hours trying to catch bullfrogs
in our pond. And there are aquatic insects who will
come, maybe newts or salamanders in your area.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ a snake story

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 13-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Gale Pearce

[...]

** That pump volume should be OK - just check to make sure your "weir"
will supply a 3000 gph pump - a 6" one is good for ~ 1800 gph - you will
need the 8" one , but don't forget to ask, if you haven't already

What about a gravel bottom in a shaded pond? I've
heard both pros and cons, but I'm hoping that it will add a layer
of protection in case our 70 pound dog decides to wade in one day.

** Yeah - that has been debated here often - I personally don't like them as
I like to "scoop" the bottom with a net when I get a lot of leaves etc. that
have sunk (I don't net my pond anymore as I skim the suface as they fall
and/or blow in as I'm now retired)

Also, is a center drain a must? My gut tells me to plumb one in
in any case. Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

** I don't have one, but my pond is 10 yrs old (before they thought of it,
and don't know if I would do it anyway - hate the thought of cutting the
liner) - but if you think it is a "maybe" - now is the time
Gale :~)

Old 13-06-2005, 06:57 PM
RichToyBox

As for the pump, look at the specs for the electrical draw. The cost of a
good pump can be paid for in one season by the electricity that is saved
over a poor pump. For submersible pumps, I like the Supreme Mag drive
pumps. You can get them in 1200, 1800, 2400, and 3600 gph. The minimum
size pump for your pond would be about 500 gph, and there really is no such
thing as a maximum, until the flow through the pond is too strong for the
fish. A 3000 or even 3600 gph would be good. The more pump, the better the
skimmer works, and the better the filters work. If you decide to add a UV,
then the size of the UV, though stated in pond gallons, is really tied more
to pump volume, too much water goes through too fast to do the job.

Savio is one of the new kids on the block and seems to have one of the best
skimmers on the market.

Personally, I would not have the rocks in the pond. The liner is very
tough. After you get some, try to poke a hole in it with a ball point pen.
Almost impossible. The dogs toe nails will not hurt it. If you are goind
to have a bottom drain, the rocks will interfer with the flow of debris
along the bottom, keeping it from keeping the bottom clean.
--
RichToyBox

Old 13-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Dan

I'd like to thank everyone who's replied to my questions! First,
I was on the fence WRT placing gravel on the bottom but I've now
decided against and just go with my initial instincts and install
a center drain. Kathy, I loved your snake story! We have tons of
snakes around the house (in fact, there was a baby black rat snake
in the yard when I got home today), but all are harmless. The
only ones we have to be remotely worried about are copperheads
and they're far and few between in our area. RichToyBox, I looked
at the Supreme Mag pumps and they were on the short list, however
the reviews of the Tsurami pumps seem to be excellent and the
1/5 HP 3000 GPH model appears to be more efficient energy-wise
than the 2400 GPH Supreme Mag pump (231 watts vs 265 watts). I
actually picked up the main liner several years ago at Home Depot.
It's 15'x15' 45 mil EPDM liner -- on sale for $70 (end of year
clearance). I'm hoping I won't need a UV since the pond will be
shaded, but if so, I can add one to the Savio skimmer after the
fact (a 16W UVC is an option). Gale, it never occurred to me that
the 6" weir on the skimmer wouldn't handle the pump volume. I was
blindly basing the size on the size of the pond. :-/ I'll get the
8.5" weir version instead!

Thanks again!
- Dan -

Old 13-06-2005, 10:42 PM
San Diego Joe

"Dan" wrote:

snip
I looked
at the Supreme Mag pumps and they were on the short list, however
the reviews of the Tsurami pumps seem to be excellent and the
1/5 HP 3000 GPH model appears to be more efficient energy-wise
than the 2400 GPH Supreme Mag pump (231 watts vs 265 watts).
snip

I have a Tsurami and have been very pleased with it.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 16-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Angrie.Woman

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi,

Finally, after several years of waiting, I'm about to build
my first small pond. Most of our yard is heavily wooded,
however, I think I have a sutable, but mostly shaded, area
near the house for a 1000 gallon pond with a two foot waterfall.

This sounds a lot like my old pond.

I've resigned myself to battling with tree debris -- falling twigs,
leaves, and seeds -- in the spring and fall. I'm not a big koi fan
which is probably a good thing considering the number of raccoons, snakes,
herons, etc. in the area. However, I'm hoping for frogs
and with a large stream about a hundred yards away and a beaver
pond on the other side teeming with frogs (the sound is almost
deafening this time of year), I'm assuming that won't be a problem.

Yes, you'll have lots of frogs.

What about a gravel bottom in a shaded pond?

I would say absolutely no way to the gravel - it would be an absolute bear
to keep clean with all the tree stuff that falls in. My friend bought a
cheesy-looking plastic liner that had simulated rocks in the design. I took
the scraps from that and siliconed it in the very bottom of the pond. It
looked ok there, which was about 4' deep. It looked awful on the sides
though, at least on my friend's pond.

I've
heard both pros and cons, but I'm hoping that it will add a layer
of protection in case our 70 pound dog decides to wade in one day.

I had a rubber liner, with carpet under it, and a sand filed backfill. When
my 50 lb dogs occasionally slipped in and scrambled out, they did no damage,
but I thought I was probably lucky. The give in the rubber was pretty good
though.

Angela