Old 14-06-2005, 01:36 AM
RichToyBox

As for the salt, I would not add it. Many of the books, and some of the
speakers over the years, encouraged the use of salt in the pond at the 0.1%
level to ease stress, etc. Current experts are telling me not to routinely
have salt in the pond. For parasite removal, the salt will need to be
raised at least 0.3% above the normal salt level. The parasites can adapt
to salt, but not rapid changes in salt level. Koi and goldfish are
freshwater fish and don't need any salt. Salt is good for protecting fish
during the high nitrite part of the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle.
--
RichToyBox

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well Ive started adding baking soda to raise my KH and stabalize my PH.
I took a reading late last night and it had dropped considerably from
the reading I took earlier in the day. Ive been adding 1/2 cup every 12
or so hours to each pond, trying to raise the KH to ~120ppm. Trying not
to add it too fast, dont want to freak the little guys out anymore. Im
sure the swings in PH are'nt helping. The goldfish in my back pond dont
seem to care much, but maybe its affecting my koi and sarassus a
little, We'll see. Im having to add ~1 1/2 lbs to the back pond and a
little over 1 lbs to the front. Just did a KH test and it sppears the
KH in both ponds are sitting around 80ppm, up from 40ppm yesterday.
Improvement for sure. I have a salt test kit on its way, maybe i'll add
a little salt as a "stress reliever" as I have read on this forum.