Old 14-06-2005, 04:19 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 13 Jun 2005 15:33:01 -0700, "robv60" wrote:

Well Ive started adding baking soda to raise my KH and stabalize my PH.
I took a reading late last night and it had dropped considerably from
the reading I took earlier in the day. Ive been adding 1/2 cup every 12
or so hours to each pond, trying to raise the KH to ~120ppm. Trying not
to add it too fast, dont want to freak the little guys out anymore. Im
sure the swings in PH are'nt helping. The goldfish in my back pond dont
seem to care much, but maybe its affecting my koi and sarassus a
little, We'll see. Im having to add ~1 1/2 lbs to the back pond and a
little over 1 lbs to the front. Just did a KH test and it sppears the
KH in both ponds are sitting around 80ppm, up from 40ppm yesterday.
Improvement for sure. I have a salt test kit on its way, maybe i'll add
a little salt as a "stress reliever" as I have read on this forum.

The above is exactly what I would have suggested. After reading RTB
response about salt, I'm in agreement with what he says, only I'd still add
salt to 0.1% to see if it helps to de-stress, and then reduce it down with
water changes, not leave it in permanently like some people have been known
to do, for the exact reason RTB mentioned. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~