Old 14-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Vox Humana said:

wrote in message
roups.com...
My wife and I have 2 asiatic lillies in a garden patch bordering our
woods. Either a rabbit, woodchuck, or deer is chewing them down to
nothing. We've tried Ropel, but it hasn't worked. Does anyone have
any ideas, short of firearms, on how to deter whatever our gourmet
might be? Also, does anyone have an idea what type of animal likes
these flowers?

The are the meal of choice for the rabbits in my garden. Of the dozens of
plants to chose from in one bed, they always go after the Asiatic lilies.

Where I used to live, the cottontails would wait until the lilies were
ready to bloom, then gnaw through the bottoms to topple them,
and just eat the blooms.

Here, neither the rabbits nor the groundhogs touch my lilies. It's the
New England asters that I have to protect. The rabbits will do the
same trick of biting through the bottom of the stem to topple it, and
then eat the tender growth on top of the tall varieties. (Ropel works
for me.)

(attributed to Don Marti)