Old 13-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Default What's Eating My Asiatic Lillies?

My wife and I have 2 asiatic lillies in a garden patch bordering our
woods. Either a rabbit, woodchuck, or deer is chewing them down to
nothing. We've tried Ropel, but it hasn't worked. Does anyone have
any ideas, short of firearms, on how to deter whatever our gourmet
might be? Also, does anyone have an idea what type of animal likes
these flowers?

Thank you.

Old 14-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I have 2 asiatic lillies in a garden patch bordering our
woods. Either a rabbit, woodchuck, or deer is chewing them down to
nothing. We've tried Ropel, but it hasn't worked. Does anyone have
any ideas, short of firearms, on how to deter whatever our gourmet
might be? Also, does anyone have an idea what type of animal likes
these flowers?

The are the meal of choice for the rabbits in my garden. Of the dozens of
plants to chose from in one bed, they always go after the Asiatic lilies.

Old 14-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Vox Humana said:

wrote in message
roups.com...
My wife and I have 2 asiatic lillies in a garden patch bordering our
woods. Either a rabbit, woodchuck, or deer is chewing them down to
nothing. We've tried Ropel, but it hasn't worked. Does anyone have
any ideas, short of firearms, on how to deter whatever our gourmet
might be? Also, does anyone have an idea what type of animal likes
these flowers?

The are the meal of choice for the rabbits in my garden. Of the dozens of
plants to chose from in one bed, they always go after the Asiatic lilies.

Where I used to live, the cottontails would wait until the lilies were
ready to bloom, then gnaw through the bottoms to topple them,
and just eat the blooms.

Here, neither the rabbits nor the groundhogs touch my lilies. It's the
New England asters that I have to protect. The rabbits will do the
same trick of biting through the bottom of the stem to topple it, and
then eat the tender growth on top of the tall varieties. (Ropel works
for me.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 14-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Mike Prager

Vox Humana wrote:

My wife and I have 2 asiatic lillies in a garden patch bordering our
woods. Either a rabbit, woodchuck, or deer is chewing them down to
nothing.[...]

The are the meal of choice for the rabbits in my garden. Of the dozens of
plants to chose from in one bed, they always go after the Asiatic lilies.

Same here. For that reason, We've given up on them.
Daylillies are pretty much untouched.

Mike
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 14-06-2005, 03:22 PM
limey

Vox Humana wrote:
The are the meal of choice for the rabbits in my garden. Of the dozens
of
plants to chose from in one bed, they always go after the Asiatic lilies.

Same here. For that reason, We've given up on them.
Daylillies are pretty much untouched.

Mike

I have two lilies now chewed down to the nubs on the second attack. We've
pretty much given up on daylilies too, though, since something (or
somethings) eat the buds each night before they open. We're overrun with
deer, who flock through the back yard; rabbits; squirrels; birds; and a
garden variety of bugs. Ain't gardening grand - and we still keep on
trying!

Dora

Old 15-06-2005, 08:19 AM
presley

daylilies are candy to deer. ......LOL
but people closer to towns have fewer deer and maybe more rabbits

Old 15-06-2005, 08:46 PM
limey

"presley" wrote in message

limey wrote:
I have two lilies now chewed down to the nubs on the second attack.
We've pretty much given up on daylilies too, though, since something (or
somethings) eat the buds each night before they open. We're overrun
with deer, who flock through the back yard; rabbits; squirrels; birds;
and a garden variety of bugs. Ain't gardening grand - and we still keep
on trying!

Dora

daylilies are candy to deer. ......LOL
but people closer to towns have fewer deer and maybe more rabbits

Could be. We have only two rabbits and they seem to prefer the clover in
the lawn.
The deer, however, are overrunning the area.
We have five or six of them galloping through the yard at the same time.
:-(

Dora

Old 15-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Vox Humana

"presley" wrote in message
daylilies are candy to deer. ......LOL
but people closer to towns have fewer deer and maybe more rabbits

I have daylilies planted in the woods and the deer don't bother them. It
seems to be hit-and-miss what they will eat. I also have some hostas along
their normal path. Occasionally they will eat a few leaves, but that is
rare. I find deer prints through all my beds, but they just seem to ignore
my plants. Other people have their gardens stripped. There seems to be no
pattern.

[IMG] code is On

Asiatic Jasmine stuck Texas 15 21-06-2006 03:52 PM
Selective Chewing Asiatic Lily Buds Joe Gardening 2 16-07-2004 02:02 AM
should I deadhead asiatic lily maf49 Gardening 1 29-04-2004 12:07 PM
Vine Weevil Vs Asiatic Lillies lsd United Kingdom 7 29-03-2004 04:08 PM
Asiatic Lillies-Seeds? Rebecca Hilliard Gardening 1 06-10-2003 02:02 PM