Old 14-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Boothbay

David Bockman wrote:
"Boothbay" wrote in
ups.com:

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the
other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if
they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere
that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the
time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing
winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Yes, Crape Myrtle make lovely bonsai. A nice way to get an interesting
twisty trunk it to use root cuttings, just pot them up and they take off.

I'm sorry, i don't understand 'use root cuttings'. Do you mean
'suckers' that usually appear at the base of a mature shrub or tree? If
so, that is what I used for the containers and had to bring them in a
cool basement for the winter. They have 'recovered' their dropped
leaves and are now in the sun on my patio. I enjoyed the pictures, but
that is not the size I'm looking for. I want mine to be at least 5 to
6' tall in a container...like in a half a whiskey barrel.

Your tree will need winter protection, you can simply bury the pot in the
ground, or heap pine needles around it, or keep it in a cool greenhouse or
shade house for the winter.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums