Old 13-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Boothbay

Default Bonsai Crape Myrtle?

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the
other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if
they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere
that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the
time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing
winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Old 13-06-2005, 05:09 PM
David Bockman

"Boothbay" wrote in
ups.com:

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the
other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if
they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere
that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the
time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing
winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Yes, Crape Myrtle make lovely bonsai. A nice way to get an interesting
twisty trunk it to use root cuttings, just pot them up and they take off.

Your tree will need winter protection, you can simply bury the pot in the
ground, or heap pine needles around it, or keep it in a cool greenhouse or
shade house for the winter.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 13-06-2005, 05:16 PM
David Bockman

"Boothbay" wrote in
ups.com:

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the
other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if
they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere
that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the
time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing
winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Forgot to post some fine examples:

http://mini-bonsai.com/hyousi/sarusuberi140828.jpg

http://mini-bonsai.com/kongetu/1998/.../k101220-6.jpg

http://mini-bonsai.com/kongetu/1998/.../k101220-7.jpg

Old 14-06-2005, 08:46 AM
presley

Crape myrtles are decidious. So you could, if you have the right garden
situation, let them drop their leaves with the first frosts in October or
early November, and then move them into the coolest indoor location you
have - an unheated garage, a chilly basement, a shed - anywhere that will
keep them dormant until April or so, when you can bring them out and let
them leaf out in the slightly warmer temps of spring. At regular house
temps, they would probably leaf out too early and suffer in the low-light
situation of a northern winter indoors. I keep a number of marginal plants
this way. Fuchsias, passion vines, some potted perennials that are marginal
(from the lobelia family). I just put them in my unheated garage, which
stays in the mid-30's to 40 degrees from December through March.
ups.com...

Old 14-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Boothbay

David Bockman wrote:
"Boothbay" wrote in
ups.com:

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the
other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if
they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere
that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the
time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing
winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Yes, Crape Myrtle make lovely bonsai. A nice way to get an interesting
twisty trunk it to use root cuttings, just pot them up and they take off.

I'm sorry, i don't understand 'use root cuttings'. Do you mean
'suckers' that usually appear at the base of a mature shrub or tree? If
so, that is what I used for the containers and had to bring them in a
cool basement for the winter. They have 'recovered' their dropped
leaves and are now in the sun on my patio. I enjoyed the pictures, but
that is not the size I'm looking for. I want mine to be at least 5 to
6' tall in a container...like in a half a whiskey barrel.

Your tree will need winter protection, you can simply bury the pot in the
ground, or heap pine needles around it, or keep it in a cool greenhouse or
shade house for the winter.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 04:32 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM