Old 14-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jibby" wrote in message
When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Thanks,
Jib

What Dick said is pretty much true. However, if you can maintain a two-step
compost system (two bins, and everything from #1 proceeds to #2), ***AND***
you can make both work perfectly, as far as temperature, some sources say
you can compost almost any kind of plant matter, including weeds with
flowers and/or seeds. If you're interested in making this work, get a
compost thermometer and make sure you've got the procedure down pat.
Otherwise, forget it. Not worth the risk.

I will say this, though: I have no trouble composting weeds which have no
flowers or seeds - just green. Usually, it's the tender stuff that's young,
and easy to pull out of the ground after a rain. But, some days, I just
don't feel like flinging some weeds into this pile and others into that
pile, so everything ends up in the trash.