Old 14-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Jibby

Default Composting Question

When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Thanks,
Jib

Old 14-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Dick Adams

Jibby wrote:

When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Consider yourself fortunate to have a knowledgeable neighbor.

NEVER put weeds into a compost pile.

Dick
Old 14-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jibby" wrote in message
When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Thanks,
Jib

What Dick said is pretty much true. However, if you can maintain a two-step
compost system (two bins, and everything from #1 proceeds to #2), ***AND***
you can make both work perfectly, as far as temperature, some sources say
you can compost almost any kind of plant matter, including weeds with
flowers and/or seeds. If you're interested in making this work, get a
compost thermometer and make sure you've got the procedure down pat.
Otherwise, forget it. Not worth the risk.

I will say this, though: I have no trouble composting weeds which have no
flowers or seeds - just green. Usually, it's the tender stuff that's young,
and easy to pull out of the ground after a rain. But, some days, I just
don't feel like flinging some weeds into this pile and others into that
pile, so everything ends up in the trash.

Old 14-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Jibby" wrote in message
When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Thanks,
Jib

If anything is going to germinate it will do so right there in your compost
pile - and since compost piles need to be occassionally turned you can just
bury the new growth when you turn it. If you are really composting the
pile should be cooking - very warm (close to hot) to your hand when you
reach down in it. If not, add some lawn fertilizer (high nitrogen) , soil
and wet it next time you turn it By the time it becomes useable "compost"
there should be no live plant growth left.

Old 15-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Jibby

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:21:13 -0400, "Jibby"
wrote:

When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Thanks,
Jib

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.

Jib

Old 20-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Helen

wrote:

When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my
compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will
cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the
compost. Is he right?

Thanks,
Jib

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.

Jib

Probably has to do with the seeds...and if they're not crushed. In the yard
I cut
the grass at a higher mower level to insure the tops of the weeds (with the
seeds)
are cut. Compost is good for helping seeds grow..so if weed seeds are in
there...
well, there ya go...