Old 22-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Life's a Beech

The message
from "William Tasso" contains these words:

Hello to one 'n' all

Copper beech - Please tell me: is the hedge plant just a 'tree in waiting'
or are they different?

It's the same thing.

I've got a wonderful shapely fast growing dark copper beech about 12 ft
high after 5 years, bought as an 18" potted hedging plant for a couple
of pounds. They have a considerable variation in colouration so choose
one for its leaf colour and a sturdy well-balanced form. The main
"trunk" should not fork or have been cut at the top.

If you particularly want to propagate an existing tree, then try
sowing its seeds, now, lots in a pot.(That's the smooth triangular seed
the size of a little fingernail, inside the nubbly husk that looks like
a fairy hat). Leave them outdoors over winter, protected from mice. I
would not expect all the seedlings to match the parent in leaf colour.

Janet.