Old 22-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Rod

Default Choosing an apple tree

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
The message

Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

Alan
--

Thanks.They're certainly two which appeal. I'm also trying not to be
influenced by names, but they both have irresistible names!

Ribston doesn't store well and they all ripen together and drop off the tree
about 30 seconds after getting ripe but at the moment of ripeness it's a
beautiful apple.
Tydemans Late Orange is good flavour and best keeper I know - even when it's
a bit shrivelled in February it still tastes good and the texture is ok, the
bad news is it tends to make lots of small apples. It might do better in
that department if it's grown in a restricted form on semi-dwarfing stocks.
Our favourite late apple.
Winston and Sunset are two of the best of the older 'Cox like' apples and
better by far. Don't keep much after November though. For that matter Cox
doesn't keep too well either though shops and buyers don't seem to be aware
of that when they get those poor overpriced 'Cox's' at Christmas. Can't
speak for newer apples I've not grown them.

Rod