Old 16-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" expounded:

How would you have felt if you needed to sell your house while the

neighbors
had a virtual junkyard? I don't mean WANT to sell, but NEED to sell.

What
if, due to the trashy neighbors, you found that there were few people
interested in looking let alone making an offer?

Well, obviously there are people out there who don't care - like me -
who will buy a house because they like the house. I'd appreciate
those kind of neighbors, that shows they'll keep their noses in their
own business and not mind mine. I don't see it as a huge hinderance.

The offers you do get are
low-balls. That is a situation where it does become your business

because
the junk reduces your property value or makes your house impossible to

sell.

You are completely ignoring what I initially said - I did buy a house
with a messy yard next door. The people who were selling this house
NEEDED to sell it, and I bought it. And there were other offers on
the very same house. So, I guess that shoots a few holes into your
argument.

If you're so worried about other people's homes, then you belong in a
nice managed neighborhood. Please stay there, and don't move next
door to me, trying to tell me how to live my life. I promise I won't
move next door to you and try to run yours.

I'm just pointing out that in a free market, when you reduce demand you also
reduce the value. Reducing demand doesn't mean that there is no demand
although it could, and the timing of the sale could be critical. Also, just
because you can find an exception to a rule, it doesn't dismiss the concept.
Every neighbor that sells, no matter how slovenly, has magically decided to
clean-up their place. The door gets painted. The trim gets painted.
Flowers are planted. The windows are washed. The yard is mowed and
trimmed. Funny how people who don't give a damn for 5 years suddenly "get
it" when they decide to sell. Do you suppose it is because it increases the
value of their house or is it due to some unexplained compulsion to clean
and paint?

As for moving next to you, it would be the last thing I would ever consider.
I'm not worried about the homes of others. I just don't want inconsiderate
slobs, people operating meth labs, or acid-rock band rehearsals in my
neighborhood. I would be perfectly content if these things occurred in your
neighborhood because even slobs and drug deals have to live somewhere. I
suspect that you would be a hideous neighbor, bitching about everything
bothered you. I would laugh if a pig farm moved next to you. Remember, you
don't pay the mortgage or taxes so the stench would be none of your
business. One man's stench is another's junk yard. Enjoy.