Old 16-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Darren Garrison

On 14 Jun 2005 19:48:53 -0700, "raycruzer" wrote:

Weedy, yes. And how do you propose to keep them from
seeding? BTW, several species (don't recall which off the
top of my head) are considered noxious weeds in some
states, which could get you in some hot water in some
circumstances.

The enforcement of federal and state noxious weed laws is a difficult
challenge in the midst of so many other enforcement challenges.
Nonetheless, to be safe you should look at the EWIRM database for
official and unofficial weeds lists and images in your state or
province. EWIRM from Ergonica sorts over 200 weed identification
references by US state or Canadian province.

As for the issue of me, personally (I was the one that brought up these particular plants, after
all) the plants in question were ones that have been around my home all of my life-- so the
transplanting I was concidering would consist of moving pre-existing plants about 30 feet from where
they are growning naturally. I remember as a child I used to pick the leaves as food for my pet
rabbits. And, having someone post the genus as a starting point, I was able to see (based on the
diagnostic feature of the purple petioles) that mine are a native species Plantago rugelii, not even
an import. (The one I dug up wilted quickly in the heat we are having now in Zone 7b South
Carolina, though.)