Old 12-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Darren Garrison

Default More plant ID questions

Here are a couple of "wild" plants that I've seen around for all of my life and haven't given much
thought to and was hoping someone could tell me the proper names for them. Both of them actually
look pretty decorative, and I'm wondering if they are annuals or are perennials that I could
transplant.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_2.jpg

Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 AM

plant one is bukhorn plantain, plantago lanceolata, and plant 2 is
broadleaf plantain, plantago major. Both are very common lawn weeds in
the us. The are also edible!

Toad

Old 12-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Darren Garrison

On 11 Jun 2005 19:51:15 -0700, " wrote:

plant one is bukhorn plantain, plantago lanceolata, and plant 2 is
broadleaf plantain, plantago major. Both are very common lawn weeds in
the us. The are also edible!

Thanks for the info. Plantago lanceolata is dead-on, but I think that, going by pictures that I've
found, my other one is Plantago rugelii instead of Plantago rugelii.

Anyway, looking at some of the larger plants, it struck me that they looked pretty much as nice as
some of the hostas I've started under a tree. I thought that if they were perennials, I might try
transplanting a couple of them.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_2.jpg

You're looking at a couple of plantains, genus Plantago.
Generally not welcome in most gardens.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

wrote in message
ups.com...
plant one is bukhorn plantain, plantago lanceolata, and plant 2 is
broadleaf plantain, plantago major. Both are very common lawn weeds in
the us. The are also edible!

Toad

Plantain leaves are also a field dressing for bee stings, too, IIRC.

Giselle (crushed, of course)

Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_2.jpg

You're looking at a couple of plantains, genus Plantago.
Generally not welcome in most gardens.

Because they're invasive, right? I don't mind them around (knowing that
they have some herbal/medicinal value which I think is just neat) but I
wouldn't be *inviting* any more into my garden than get there by themselves.

Giselle (you never know who they're going to invite over to stay

Old 13-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/plant_2.jpg

You're looking at a couple of plantains, genus Plantago.
Generally not welcome in most gardens.

Because they're invasive, right? I don't mind them around (knowing that
they have some herbal/medicinal value which I think is just neat) but I
wouldn't be *inviting* any more into my garden than get there by themselves.

Weedy, yes. And how do you propose to keep them from seeding? BTW, several
species (don't recall which off the top of my head) are considered noxious
weeds in some states, which could get you in some hot water in some
circumstances.

Kay

Old 15-06-2005, 03:48 AM
raycruzer

Weedy, yes. And how do you propose to keep them from
seeding? BTW, several species (don't recall which off the
top of my head) are considered noxious weeds in some
states, which could get you in some hot water in some
circumstances.

The enforcement of federal and state noxious weed laws is a difficult
challenge in the midst of so many other enforcement challenges.
Nonetheless, to be safe you should look at the EWIRM database for
official and unofficial weeds lists and images in your state or
province. EWIRM from Ergonica sorts over 200 weed identification
references by US state or Canadian province.

Ray
EWIRM: Nature makes plants, humans make weeds!

Old 16-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Darren Garrison

On 14 Jun 2005 19:48:53 -0700, "raycruzer" wrote:

Weedy, yes. And how do you propose to keep them from
seeding? BTW, several species (don't recall which off the
top of my head) are considered noxious weeds in some
states, which could get you in some hot water in some
circumstances.

The enforcement of federal and state noxious weed laws is a difficult
challenge in the midst of so many other enforcement challenges.
Nonetheless, to be safe you should look at the EWIRM database for
official and unofficial weeds lists and images in your state or
province. EWIRM from Ergonica sorts over 200 weed identification
references by US state or Canadian province.

As for the issue of me, personally (I was the one that brought up these particular plants, after
all) the plants in question were ones that have been around my home all of my life-- so the
transplanting I was concidering would consist of moving pre-existing plants about 30 feet from where
they are growning naturally. I remember as a child I used to pick the leaves as food for my pet
rabbits. And, having someone post the genus as a starting point, I was able to see (based on the
diagnostic feature of the purple petioles) that mine are a native species Plantago rugelii, not even
an import. (The one I dug up wilted quickly in the heat we are having now in Zone 7b South
Carolina, though.)

Old 03-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Suzy O

And a great "crush and rub it on" remedy for nettle stings.

Suzy O, Wisconsin, zone 5

"Rev "Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

ups.com...