Old 17-06-2005, 01:12 AM
limey

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"limey" wrote in message

(snipped)

Sue tells me to "pinch off the seed pods". Does that mean pinching off
the whole little stem that the flower was on? I've a zillion of them.

The hanging basket is now about four or five feet across because of
straggly growth with flowers just at the ends. I'll cut it back after I
hear from anyone.

I've never grown a petunia that didn't need to be deadheaded. The blossoms
are sort of sticky, so they don't fall off by themselves. That can also
make them a chore to deadhead using just your fingernails. Get yourself a
pair of scissors like these:

http://www.cooksworld.com/Merchant3/..._Code =510620

Some garden centers sell a similar item as "florist's scissors". Same
basic thing. The other key to deadheading is beer. It's a tedious chore.
You have to find ways of making it interesting. By the way, behind each
flower you deadhead, cut back to a point that's 1/4" before the next stem,
unless that interferes with a flower that's about to open. In that case,
wing it.

Thank you, Doug, for the tips on the plants and the link to the scissors -
now I'll go out and buy the beer and I'll be all set!

Dora