Old 13-06-2005, 06:21 PM
limey

Default Those darned wave petunias again

Sue of Maine gave me some great advice. I've also gone into the rec.gardens
archives.
Conclusion - wave petunias have to be deadheaded and are far from the
absolutely carefree plants that the sellers promote, at least in a hanging
basket.

Since comments in the rec.gardens archives often seem to contradict each
other, here goes with my questions.

Sue tells me to "pinch off the seed pods". Does that mean pinching off the
whole little stem that the flower was on? I've a zillion of them.

The hanging basket is now about four or five feet across because of straggly
growth with flowers just at the ends. I'll cut it back after I hear from
anyone.

As Sue said ("doG - I hate petunias") she would forgive me in August if I
dumped the whole basket on the compost heap. However, it's a gift, and a
challenge to someone who doesn't know what the h*** she's doing. The
"gifter" will be here this weekend and I'd like to defend myself!

Old 13-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Doug Kanter

"limey" wrote in message
[...]

I've never grown a petunia that didn't need to be deadheaded. The blossoms
are sort of sticky, so they don't fall off by themselves. That can also make
them a chore to deadhead using just your fingernails. Get yourself a pair of
scissors like these:

http://www.cooksworld.com/Merchant3/..._Code =510620

Some garden centers sell a similar item as "florist's scissors". Same basic
thing. The other key to deadheading is beer. It's a tedious chore. You have
to find ways of making it interesting. By the way, behind each flower you
deadhead, cut back to a point that's 1/4" before the next stem, unless that
interferes with a flower that's about to open. In that case, wing it.

Old 14-06-2005, 12:35 AM
RhondaM

--

I just deadhead mine and they do just fine. I also use a super bloom
fertilizer.

Old 17-06-2005, 01:12 AM
limey

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"limey" wrote in message

(snipped)

[...]

Thank you, Doug, for the tips on the plants and the link to the scissors -
now I'll go out and buy the beer and I'll be all set!

Dora

Old 17-06-2005, 01:15 AM
limey

"RhondaM" wrote in message
"limey" wrote in message
Conclusion - wave petunias have to be deadheaded and are far from the
absolutely carefree plants that the sellers promote, at least in a
hanging basket.

Dora

I just deadhead mine and they do just fine. I also use a super bloom
fertilizer.
This year has been a real good year for petunias in zone 7

Thanks, Rhonda - I'm in zone 7, too. I feed the plants in the hanging
basket every couple of weeks or so with Miracle Gro.

Dora

[IMG] code is On

Need help with wave petunias limey Gardening 2 02-06-2005 12:45 AM
This new pond is more darned fun!! pixi Ponds 9 28-05-2004 03:07 AM
Wave Petunias Julie Gardening 6 27-07-2003 05:02 AM
Wave petunias zxcvbob Gardening 2 09-07-2003 06:08 AM