Old 17-06-2005, 11:59 PM
David Bockman

TomH wrote in
:

Hi Group,

snip

This three is great for shade so I'm hoping that it will
survive many more years, but this blistering and splitting
of the bark is worrisome. Can anyone provide info/advice?

Wow, this tree has a lot going on. I'm fairly certain the vertical cracks
are frostcracks, and it appears that a limb was torn down at some point,
pulling a lot of live bark down as it fell.

I have to tell you, I loathe Norway Maples in all their various forms for
this very reason. As well, they have shallow, greedy root systems and
vigorous seeds which sprout everywhere. They are susceptible to verticullum
wilt, tarspot, and anthracnose. They have lackluster fall color. There
really isn;t anything you can do with regard to the cracking.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums