Old 17-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Diana Kulaga

"caparazon" wrote in message

Does anyone know why new oncidium bulbs show a tendency to be born
outside the pot?. I have two different Oncidiums and in both cases
their new bulbs are like escaping the pot. Nothing grows in the middle
of the free space within the pot, as I think it should.

--
caparazon

Oncidiums are unruly sorts, aren't they? Seriously, Oncidiums grow "ladder
like", stepping up, in a way. They put out new growths from eyes on the
existing pseudobulbs, not from the center of the rhizome. It sound like your
Onc's would like to be repotted. When you do that, decide which is the front
of the plant (where most of the newest growth is). Then, when you place the
plant in the pot, push the back of the plant against the side of the pot,
allowing room for the new growth to come.

Having said that, my Oncidiums frequently go over the edge, and like to be
tight in the pot. So, if the medium in your pots is still good, it may not
be necessary to repot now.

HTH

Diana