Old 17-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Registered User

Default New Oncidium bulbs out of the pot

Does anyone know why new oncidium bulbs show a tendency to be born outside the pot?. I have two different Oncidiums and in both cases their new bulbs are like escaping the pot. Nothing grows in the middle of the free space within the pot, as I think it should.
Old 17-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Kenni Judd

Some oncids are just natural "climbers," with the new growths coming out
high compared to the last ones. But in your case, it rather sounds like the
plants were either potted incorrectly [with the "front" at the edge of the
pot rather than facing the growing area within the pot] or they just decided
to go the other way -- that happens too, sometimes. It is also possible
that the plants just don't like the pots/medium they're in ... Can you post
pics to abpo? That might help.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 17-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Diana Kulaga

"caparazon" wrote in message

Does anyone know why new oncidium bulbs show a tendency to be born
outside the pot?. I have two different Oncidiums and in both cases
their new bulbs are like escaping the pot. Nothing grows in the middle
of the free space within the pot, as I think it should.

--
caparazon

Oncidiums are unruly sorts, aren't they? Seriously, Oncidiums grow "ladder
like", stepping up, in a way. They put out new growths from eyes on the
existing pseudobulbs, not from the center of the rhizome. It sound like your
Onc's would like to be repotted. When you do that, decide which is the front
of the plant (where most of the newest growth is). Then, when you place the
plant in the pot, push the back of the plant against the side of the pot,
allowing room for the new growth to come.

Having said that, my Oncidiums frequently go over the edge, and like to be
tight in the pot. So, if the medium in your pots is still good, it may not
be necessary to repot now.

HTH

Diana

Old 20-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Bill

Hi, It also could be that you have a plant that just flat wants to be
mounted, and will always give you fits in a pot. (Be sure to mount with
the new growth to the top side & also against the mount. Good Growing,
Bill

Old 20-06-2005, 09:22 PM

mine grow new pbulbs towards the light, no matter how they're potted
(backwards, frontwards, middle, etc.) my damn dendrobia are doing it
too. so be careful how you turn your pots.

--j_a

Old 25-06-2005, 12:50 AM

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Oncidiums grow "ladder
like", stepping up, in a way. They put out new growths from eyes on the
existing pseudobulbs, not from the center of the rhizome.

I had been wondering about this with my oncidium, which is my only, and
first, one. Hadn't been here in a while so I was interested to see
this discussion. I knew about potting the "back" of a sympodial orchid
at the edge of the pot but what I'd like to know with the oncidium is
how deep to re-pot it. If you want the roots from the higher new
growth to be at the right level for the compost, then you have to sink
the older bulbs into it, & doesn't that invite rot? Or, if you tried
to put all the p-bulb bases at compost level, then the whole thing
would be slanted over & look silly... Mine has space left in the pot
yet, but the way it's going, by the time it needs repotting, the new
shoots will be about an inch & a half above the pot. So, what is the
right way to repot them?
Thanks!

Alison

Old 26-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Susan Erickson

On 24 Jun 2005 16:50:10 -0700, wrote:

Diana Kulaga wrote:
[...]

I have both buried and potted them deep but not filled that back
corner of the pot. Making sure I have added extra bark mix to
the front corner. The Brassias are the worst for me. Neither
way has added to the rot in our collection.

I think a try at combining the two works best. Push the old bulb
down - but don't fill tight around or over it. Then put extra
mix in front of the new growth, or under it.
SuE
Old 28-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

I have both buried and potted them deep but not filled that back
corner of the pot. Making sure I have added extra bark mix to
the front corner. The Brassias are the worst for me. Neither
way has added to the rot in our collection.

I think a try at combining the two works best. Push the old bulb
down - but don't fill tight around or over it. Then put extra
mix in front of the new growth, or under it.

That's what I do as well. I build the mix higher around the new growth.
Also, if the back bulbs are shriveled or leaf/rootless, I just cut 'em off.

Diana

Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Kenni Judd

On the most serious "climbers," we've had good success mounting them on
treefern totems. They climb right up, and seem to bloom more often than
those still in pots. Of course, once every 3-4 years, we have to chop off
the bottom of the totem to clean up the spent backbulbs ... Kenni

k.net...