Old 18-06-2005, 05:01 PM
TomH

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:59:55 GMT, David Bockman
wrote:

Hi David, and thanks for your reply.

Wow, this tree has a lot going on. I'm fairly certain the vertical cracks
are frostcracks, and it appears that a limb was torn down at some point,
pulling a lot of live bark down as it fell.

I'm fairly certain that you are correct about this being
frostcracks. The latest were noticed this spring, and the
bark has popped away from the crevices which opened
underneath. The limb damage may be damage that extended
_up_ from the lower bark.

I have to tell you, I loathe Norway Maples in all their various forms for
this very reason. As well, they have shallow, greedy root systems and
vigorous seeds which sprout everywhere. They are susceptible to verticullum
wilt, tarspot, and anthracnose. They have lackluster fall color.

They also produce large amounts of 'garbage' -buds, keys,
leaves- all year.

There really isn;t anything you can do with regard to the cracking.

Would it be helpful to use pruning paste on the exposed core
wood?

Thanks again,

Tom

--